Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Watering Joggers

August 1st it was my pleasure to help out with the running team for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. A good friend of mine called me, he needed someone to man an aid station for this running group during a training run.
My friend Mike and his very nice wife Dawn called me early in the week for this little bit of fun.
I had to set up a few things first. Number one get cute fiancee into a hotel near her work. A Hotel with a tub. We have no tub here at the cabin as I may have mentioned before, so this can keep her happy with me for not having one. Had a nice Mexican dinner with the cute fiancee, dropped her off at the hotel and headed south.
It is a little bit of a drive from Victorville Ca. to San Diego Ca. I made it to S.D. by 8pm and got gas and headed to the Marina where I was going to spend the night at Mike and Dawn's cabin cruiser.
I had just settled in on the boat when the cute fiancee called me. I stepped out on the back deck to talk to her. We were chatting and she was telling me how nice her bath was and how many hours she had been in the tub when I saw something in the water behind the boat.
Now I didn't get to experience the 60's because I was too young, but there was something small and florescent green swirling in the water. I had to describe it to her and then she asked if I was smoking something.
It was kind of cool. The moon was kind of out but it was getting over cast. The water was black and I could see this green dot swirling up to the surface. I told her it was weird to see it. She suspected I was drinking. I told her not yet and opened a beer on the phone for her...grin
As I was talking to her I looked around the black water behind the boats in the marina.
The little green specs were coming up everywhere. I don't have a low light camera darn it, this would have been a cool thing to shoot on video. It looked like little green constellations popping up in the water around the boat. I got a close look at one that was right at the back of the boat.
It swirled and undulated towards the surface and then swam down disappearing. It only went on for a few minutes then it stopped. I just now looked it up (google and now bing too are our friends.) I found an article after looking up "bioluminescent fish in San Diego Bay".
Looks like this thing may be what the article called a fireworm ( Odontosyllis phosphorea ). It looks like I was in the right place at the right time for this display according to the article.

quote from the article: The precisely timed bioluminescent displays have been tracked like clockwork in Southern California, the Caribbean and Japan, peaking one to two days before each quarter moon phase, 30 to 40 minutes after sunset and lasting approximately 20 to 30 minutes.

Wow what a treat, if I had known I was this lucky I would have bought some lotto tickets.

Ok so back to the the running bit. I got up at 4 am and took a shower and came back to the boat and read for a while. Mike came aboard at about 5 bringing coffee. Coffee one of my few vices.
We gathered our stuff later and headed for Miramar Lake in the hills near the Naval Air Base of the same name.

I was loaded down with water and a gatoraid like substance plus other essencials for the runners. I was sent to the other side of the lake to set up.

I'm a people watcher so this was a real fun gig for me.

The people that were running are part of a group that fund raises through sponsors for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. They were getting in shape for some marathons that were coming up. The group was very appreciative of me doing this for them, trying to thank me on each lap while out of breath. Great group of people.

Mike coming in on his first pass. Then Dawn and running partner. (in white shirts)


I felt like Crocodile Dundee on his first day in New York, saying good morning to all passers by.
People of all types went by. Walkers, some with dogs. Speed walkers. Joggers and the speedy runners. Bikers on every thing from pro racing bikes, beach cruisers and mountain bikes. Even dads and moms riding with there little ones on bikes with training wheels.
Sitting there with the lake cove in front of me was rather peaceful even with all the heavy breathing people going by.

It was funny how many people came by and said how nice it was that I had set up this table with water and stuff and was just giving it away....lol A few of the more entrepreneurial types thought I was selling the stuff.
The best part was this one crazy haired lady on roller blades. She was rocking out and skating, kicking her legs out. She was wild eyed skating as she hit the corner where I was set up.
She was even more crazy and rock'in out on her next pass going the opposite way a few minutes later.
I was out there for a few hours, but the time went fast. The people watching and little chats with strangers was fun. Handed out water to those that looked like they needed water, and to those people walking their dogs and made sure their pets got some water too.

After passing out water to all those thirsty people I discovered the post sitting next to my truck, what an name for the location I was passing out water at.

Yep it says starvation cove...lol

It was really a blast doing it, and would love to do it again.
Kris

No comments:

Post a Comment