Saturday, July 4, 2009

The adventure ride home

Today is the 4Th of July. A day of celebration for our Independence. Oh boy were a bunch of people trying to go celebrate this morning. For those not familiar with the area I live in, there is a lake on the desert side of the San Bernardino mountains called Silverwood. It is a man made lake built in the 70's. Cute fiancee likes to say that she has been camping at the bottom of Lake Silverwood, because it was just a canyon at one time. That canyon was part of the Morman Trail at one time. I digress. I took cute fiancee to work this morning and as we rounded the bend near the entrance to Lake Silverwood she gasped. I looked hoping I wasn't going to hit a dear but was kind of blinded by the rising sun in my eyes. It was just after 6 AM and there was a line of cars as far as you could see. We wound down the mountain some more and the line didn't quit. It ran for almost 2 miles. I dropped her off at work and headed back. I thought the line would have died down some at this time, after all I stopped for breakfast. Nope it was even longer probably now 3 miles long. The alternate route was a long way around, but there was another at a junction just up ahead but I had to wait in line to get to it. This is the line up the hill to the lake, along Hwy. 138.


There was a lot of people breaking out of the line and turning around so the line was starting to move. A large truck towing a boat trailer and two other cars bolted for the junction going up the opposite side of the road, I jumped in ( thank goodness no CHP around). By taking this junction I can go over to the suposedly close Hwy 173 (wink) that goes up the back way to Lake Arrowhead. We take this route every once in a while just to break up the drive from time to time and have evening picnics. It is a single lane graded dirt road that takes you up high over part of Deep Creek and drops you off near Arrowhead. See adventure just trying to get home...grin
Kris

No comments:

Post a Comment